Monday 4 November 2013

Anarchy in the UK vs. Pride of Britain

One UK event that sticks in my mind from the last few years is the riots that took place in London and various places across England. I remember watching a live stream on the news of a furniture shop going up in flames. As the anchor explained how the shop had been a family business, built up for years by one family and destroyed in a minute by some thoughtless kids, I couldn't help but be filled with anger.


Another strong memory I have from the last decade is the feeling I got when watching the London Olympics opening ceremony. As the beautiful spectacle directed by Danny Boyle unfolded in front of me I remember feeling extremely proud to be British, and excited for the coming sports events. 



The contrast between these events is obvious, which is why I'm glad that one of our media theory assignments is to compare the representation of the two in the newspapers at the time. It's always good to have experience and feelings that you can use in your work, but it's about understanding everyone feelings and how the media tries to control them. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment