Sunday 6 October 2013

House Style

In my previous lesson I learnt that most animations and cartoons have what is referred to as ‘House Style’. This means there are a set of standards they follow when creating something that makes it recognisable as their own. For example, when anyone sees a yellow character they automatically associate it with the Simpsons. I want to look into a couple of different conventions of some different animations and see what stands out for each.

The Simpsons
            

-          Yellow characters
-          Certain drawing style, same as Futurama (see below)
-          Unique text font used
-          Facial and body shapes/details unique to Groenings work

Futurama
                



-          Same creator as the Simpsons – similarities in style of drawing and character features
-          Set in space, fantasy style
-          Special font used

South Park



-          Unique animation style – paper cut out look
-          Characters body shapes and facial features
-          Background setting style

The Flintstones



-          Special drawing style
-          Character body shape and facial features
-          Clothing and background setting
-          Unique text font
-          Caveman theme


From the cartoons I have looked into I can see a core theme running through them all, they all have a text font used for the title that is unique and stands out. They all have a certain drawing style, and their characters all have different body shapes and features. I think this is really obvious when you look in particular at the Simpsons and Futurama, because they have similar drawing styles and character features. This is because they have the same creator, Matt Groening. These elements would be considered his House Style. I know that I need to take this into account when creating my animation, as continuity is important, if all my different drawings look a different style the animation will not gel nicely. I’m going to remember this when drawing my backgrounds and later when making the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment